Malpa means friend/helper in Pintupi.
For people from remote communities moving to a regional centre like Alice Springs or Darwin for dialysis is often a stressful and scary experience. They are far away from family and country, feeling sick and confused while having to negotiate the health care system.
Our Social Support ‘Malpas’ act as friends for dialysis patients and their families providing support and assistance in a range of situations. They help with:
- Helping people to find short and long term accommodation
- Sorting out Centrelink/Carers benefits
- Accessing emergency relief and support
- Assisting patients through advocacy
- Transport to attend appointments
- Return to Country visits
We also bring people together for social activities such as lunches, bush picnics and outings, and visit people at hospital or at their home or accomodation to make sure they are not lonely.